Monday, October 14, 2013

What Does Face-to-Face Mean?

It used to be that a face-to-face meeting meant that I could, potentially, touch your nose with my tongue.

You would "face" me and I would "face" you.  We would both be in the same place at the same time.  
Face to face means something else now, the same way "knowing someone" can mean many things.  
I can "know" someone I've never met face to face, perhaps even know that person better than people I've met face to face.
I was messaging with my internet friend, thenewgreen, aka Steven, and had this exchange:


Me:  I'm in Vancouver and might meet forwardslash.  Do you know forwardslash? 
Steven:  Do I know him? Of course I do.  He is formally on board team-Hubski!  You should absolutely meet up with him.  He is a very nice guy and his wife is really great too.
Me:  I mean "know" him in a face-to-face way?
Steven:  I've never met him face to face, but I talk with him every Monday night on our team calls via G+ chat, so it's kind of face to face.

If I was a brain in a jar, would it matter?
Would you know?  

No comments:

Post a Comment